Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Bears are Waking Up!


The proof is in the pictures.

A friend of ours who lives north of town shared these pictures with us that were taken yesterday morning.

Here is their story in their words:

Good Morning,

We had a large bear in the driveway and yard last night. About 11:00 the dogs wanted out back, seemed like just pre-bed routine thing, but man, did they get barking and running all over with noses to the ground. Trapper the black lab especially wanted out front so I took him and Blue our lab mix. They both were barking and all on alert, noses going. I didn't take a flashlight since the moonlight was OK to see by. Wish I did have one though, as the dogs got down by Jane's car near my studio the dogs had gotten the attention of this bear. I saw him in relief and shadow but a light would have neat to get a real lit view of him. Even though he wasn't well lit he seemed very black in color

I say him because even in the low light this was a very very large bear, even on all fours. He looked black to me and didn't strike me as a Grizzly just by the body shape and outline but boy, these are some big feet and full of nails. Reading up on the print shape this morning I have to think it probably was Grizzly. I was only about 25-30 feet away last night when he appeared and I instinctively moved toward the house even as Blue dog went right at him. I was calling her back but she didn't mind that it was a bear at all. I guess her forthrightness may have harried the bear a bit and it scampered right out the front yard and off into the woods.

Walking around this morning I found track that places the bear just walking up the back driveway and through the snow by the gate. Where it crossed into our yard I didn't find clearly. Neighbor Jan was over too but we still couldn't be clear his early path in.

Anyway, that's my bear story.


Pretty amazing, ... and also a great reminder that's it's never too early to dust off the old bear spray.





.

No comments: