Sunday, July 13, 2008

North American Indian Days - Browning Montana


We made the trek from Whiteish to Browning, MT (about 2 hours on Rt.2) yesterday to enjoy the North American Indian Days (NAID) Parade and Pow Wow. It continues to impress me everytime we go. To see the pride of the Indians in their native dress, dance and drum is nothing short of astounding. The photos and video don't do it justice. It is something you should experience for yourself.



The parade started before noon and I would reccomend bringing a chair to sit in, and umbrella (for sun protection), a cooler with some cold drinks and a plastic bag (to put the candy or goodies thrown by parade participants). It got pretty warm in the afternoon and I'm glad I wore a visor. I should have brought sunscreen, I now have the definition of a farmer's tan!



After the parade we headed to the arena for the entrance, introduction, drum and dance competiton. You can burn through some serious film at this event and I am glad we took a couple of memory chips and blank tapes. (shoot count: 960 still photos and 1:45 of video) The colors are brilliant, the drums beat like a heartbeat, and the dance is hypnotizing.


If you are going to be in Northwest Montana next year around the second weekend in July, I would definately check out the North American Indian Days in Browning, MT. If you plan on taking photos ar video, you will need a NAID photo/video permit. They are available at the Pow Wow grounds ($10 photo / $20 video) and worth every penny!!



"It is an intriguing way to see authentic Blackfeet traditions. Tipis are pitched on the powwow grounds for four days of contest dancing, games, a number of sports events and socializing. Comprising one of the largest gatherings of United States and Canadian tribes, the celebration is an unforgettable experience. Once you hear and feel the mystery of the drum, see the traditional and fancy dancing, and the many proud Native people, then you will begin to understand the Blackfeet." - quote from www.browningmontana.com


I hope you enjoy our pictures.

Please be respectful, in some situations it is polite to ask permission before taking pictures or video.



See you there next year....
-jay
.

1 comment:

caleb deming said...

I came across your part on North American Indian Days on google. I must say I love your description and how the feeling of the even comes through with how you worded it. I am from Browning and I personally felt complimented on how you described our pow-wow and people. Thank you